Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To Judge, to Examine or to Condemn ?


Matthew 7:1–5 (NKJV)
1“Judge not, that you be not judged. 
2For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 
3And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 
4Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 
5Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

John 7:24 (NKJV)
24Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

In these first two scriptures the judge or judgement is defined as - to condemn.  So we, as Christians, are called not to condemn others.  However...  

1 Corinthians 2:15 (NKJV)
15But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.

Here we see the word for Judge means - to examine.  So we are called to examine one another's actions with a spiritual mindset.  Not to scrutinize each others actions.  ie... I would have done it this way or that or even to scrutinize one's own actions by saying I would have done better if I had just...  But to examine whether or not there is sin being committed, is justified by examining the deeds or fruits of others.  To bring it all together...

1 Corinthians 4:3–5 (NKJV)
3But with me it is a very small thing that I should be [examined] by you or by a human court. In fact, 
I do not even [examine, scrutinize] myself. 
4For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who [examines] me is the Lord. 
5Therefore [pass judgment on or condemn] nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, 
who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God.


No comments: