Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Greatest Gift I Can Give...

Below is the letter we sent to my family in our Christmas cards.

Dear family and friends,
Praise God for the time we all get to spend together catching up and worshiping Him.
Throughout my life I have been very introverted and felt that I am just not great at conversation or relating to people. That feeling persisted for many years, until recently, however, because, I have been studying and getting to know Jesus Christ. And God has put a concern in my heart for the lost and especially for my family. As such I feel compelled to speak to you about what happens after we die.
Are you a good person? I am going to ask you a few questions to find out if that is true;
* Have you ever, even once, told a lie? Of course you have, what does that make you? If I came up to you and said the earth is flat, you would call me a… liar.
* Have you ever used the Lords name in vain? That is blasphemy.
* Have you ever stolen anything? Even a pen from work? What does that make you? A thief. A murderer is a murderer no matter how long ago they committed the deed.
* Have you ever lusted after someone? We are human be honest with yourself. The bible says that if we look with lust we have committed adultery in our hearts. (Matthew 5:28)
These are only four of the Ten Commandments. We could go through them all but we don’t need to at this point. Most of us, if we are honest, at this point would be admitting that we are lying blasphemous thieving adulterer at heart. Does that sound like a good person? The bible says that none are good except God alone.
We will have to face God on judgment day and if He judges you by the standard of the Ten Commandments would you be innocent or guilty? Right, you would be guilty. As I am, as we all are.
Now if we are guilty, would we go to heaven or hell? Not heaven- but hell. Most people would say heaven and justify it by saying that God is good and loves and forgives. True He does forgive but we will get to that. First let’s explore the truth of His goodness and love: If we go to court and stand before a judge for a crime that we committed and just before the sentence is given we say, “Judge, I believe you are a good judge and should forgive my sins and let me go.” How would the judge respond? Would he let you go? No, the judge would say, “you are right, I am a good judge and as such I must punish law breakers.” If God loves he must also hate. Just as a parent loves their child but punishes for breaking their rules or established law.
Understanding that, imagine the same scenario in the court room and after the judge passes judgment he sets the fine for $500,000 or life imprisonment. None of us have that kind of money lying around… Now what if someone you don’t know walks in and said, “Judge, here is the money, I will pay their fine.” How would you feel toward that person? You would feel pretty grateful toward them. Well, that is what Jesus did for us 2,000 years ago.
He became sin to take our punishment, so that we may be cleansed of our sins through faith in Him. So that we may become sons and daughters of the Heavenly Father.
Some family members that I have talked to claimed to have a belief in God but don’t follow his teachings. Let’s look at it like this: if we were on a plane and the pilot came over the intercom and said to get your parachutes on because we are about to crash and we will be jumping from the plane. So, both of us see the chutes under our seats. I put mine on and jump, you don’t put yours on and jump. Which one of us survives the jump? Me of course because I put the chute on and you only believed in the chute.
Ok, well, you say you love God and trust He is there. How would it be then if a child went to their parents and said “mom, dad I love you guys but I am not going to do anything you tell me, I love you. I know your wrote me some letters but I don’t think I need to read them, I will keep them in a drawer or on the shelf or in a box in the basement or some where I am sure I will remember, maybe, but I love you. I am not going to listen to anything you tell me but when I call I expect you to give me what I want, I love you.” Well, that doesn’t really seem like love at all does it. People claim love and trust in God but they don’t read His word or follow his commands.
Some claim that we are all the children of God but cannot explain where they get that information from other than to say it is what they feel. [There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. (Pro 14:12), 16:25] We can be adopted into his family through repentance and faith (as shown by our works) but we are not born natural children of God, hence second birth.
“According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: (Eph 1:4)
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, (Eph 1:5)
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. (Eph 1:6)
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; (Eph 1:7)”

What must we do to partake of this salvation that God offers? We must repent, that is turn away from our sins. A complete 180 degree turnaround is necessary. Look at it like this if you are driving and suddenly realize you are lost you cannot simply realize and understand that you are lost and continue on the same route, you must stop the car, turn around and follow the map and signs to get where you need to go.
You must put on Jesus as Lord of your life, just like the parachute it is not enough to believe in it, you must put it on. How do you do that? Read His word (the bible) and follow its teachings put God first in your life.

You cannot simply “ask God into your heart” and be saved. That is not biblical.

Heaven and Hell are real and true, just as sure as God’s word is real truth. If heaven and hell aren’t real then God’s word is not trustworthy, but if we listen to our conscience we all know it to be true. There is a wrath that is to come to those that don’t commit themselves as slaves to the Lord Jesus Christ in thought word and deed. That wrath is beyond comprehension… Is it worth being wrong? Worth felling a bit of rejection? Losing a few “friends?” Changing certain habits? What is hell worth? No-one likes to be slapped or kicked but what about eternal suffering? Don’t just glance over that word, eternal. That is forever, longer than a movie, longer than an earthly lifetime, longer than history records. Take a moment and just try to comprehend, eternal. Then add pain and suffering. Most don’t even like spending an hour in the sun on a hot dry day, but again eternal suffering…

On the other hand what is heaven worth?

NOW, I beg of you, don’t believe a word I say… Or any other person for that matter. Read your bible, study it for the truth. Does it say anywhere to simply ask God into your heart or does it say to repent and put your faith in him.
Don’t believe any one that tells you “you can have your best life now.” Jesus never promises earthly life enhancement. He only promises that you will be hated by the world for His sake.

I do love all of you and it is my prayer that you listen to these warnings and act on them.
Feel free to contact me with any questions, [craftedashes@yahoo.com].

No comments: